Sunday, June 11, 2006

Let's talk Cars

Okay so i saw cars this weekend and i must say it was good. At first i thought it was a little slow but then things began to pick up. This film has quite a different pacing than that of Incredibles or Finding Nemo and i think that's why the reviews are kinda mixed. I realize it wasn't meant to be a fast paced film. It was supposed to convey the small town lifestyle of it's locals and how america has lost the concern for one another in an ever advancing world. This I quite admired about the film. That all being said, i would also like to voice my opinion on the opposite side of this argument. I feel a little scared to type this because i know that I, in no way, have the authority or experience to BE saying what i'm about to say but i'm going to say it anyway because i feel it is true. I feel like a lot of people (not everyone of course because we all have different tastes but..) feel like this movie did not quite succeed it's predecessors. PLEASE don't think that I in any way didn't like this film but i feel that as each Pixar movie has come out that we all have come to expect each film to be a bit grander, a bit more mind blowing. Now, as far as technology goes, there were some jaw dropping effects in this film that i could barely wrap my mind around, (namely, the stadium filled with moving cars, how real Bessie's tar looked spilling out, the trees during the cruisin' scene as well as the waterfall, the dust effects, not to mention the BRILLIANT character animation, mean come on, honestly) but as far as story goes, it was a bit, i dunno... stop and go, for me. I'm sorry to say anything remotely bad about Pixar but this is just how i feel. I hope nobody hates me after this and if you have anything more to say i would be glad to hear it. I guess what it all boils down to is I had a certain tingling excitement when I went to see The Incredibles something that gave me hope that in this world of animation where a lot of crappy 3D movies are being pumped out like dirty sewage water, Pixar gave us all a ray of shining light that reminded us why we love this business so much. Cars just felt a bit misplaced among the Pixar films, as if it came along at a time when it would be under appreciated. Again, I did like Cars and OF COURSE it is better than all the 3D animation movies coming out right now but it just didn’t give me that ah-ha moment that each Pixar movie has given me. I’m sorry if you hate me for saying any of this. I’m not being too harsh, I think, I’m just a befuddled fan searching for answers. Maybe i just need to see it again. Actually, i dont think that was ever a question, pretty sure i will see it two more times in the theater.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

you know i haven't seen it yet but from what i hear it does lack something the other films have had, but maybe people were expecting alot from this movie. i dont know. i'm sure it is better than the other 3d movies that has come out, not just in terms of visuals but in the treatment of characters. but i guess i'll find out this weekend when i see it. but you made some good points