Sunday, April 24, 2011

The Tortured Artist

so... i've gotten a few requests in the past to post about how i work. The following is a work in progress? I put a question mark because i'm not sure if i'm THERE yet with the husband... he's a difficult one to capture. anywho... i'm posting my progress here for you to judge me. that's right.. JUDGE.. jerks. step 1: look at my subjects... all angles all pictures i can possibly find...(facebook usually)


step 2: sketch out something i like... (this includes many sketches but i'm only posting one because i always delete these as i do them because looking at the bad ones annoys me, ha) step 3: color... step 4: yes... this is an actual step that without a doubt occurs on almost ALL drawings... i hate something about it, something got lost in translation from sketch to painting and i wanna stab broken bottles into my computer screen. it's healthy, i promise. lucky for this couple... it only happened once... it usually happens on average about 4-5 times. step 5: rework drawing... in this case, start completely over because i hate the way the guy looks and the girl, while super cute, won't match the guy EVER to save my life. step 6: color again... this time... MUCH more successful yet i still don't think i captured the guy.. he is a particularly DIFFICULT subject. (punching him in the arm) don't worry.. it's cool. i know him ;) step 7: analyze my drawing the next day for future revisions. cuz i need fresh eyes. twill see where this one goes...

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure if I am one that requested it...but I love to learn about PROCESS, so this was awesome!

Emerson Fialho said...

Muito bacana, parabéns!

Unknown said...

LOVE!

Staci said...

adorable..and brilliant as usual!

Laura said...

I know I already said it but seeing your process and what goes into your work I can absolutely understand why you're limiting the number/type of clients you take on.

You don't pull these drawings out of your ear although you make it look so effortless. I'm amazed and so impressed with how you're able to create. I love it!

You're amazing!

Matt said...

This is so cool to read about the genius behind the artist. Umm, I would suggest perhaps some facial hair on the guy. Also, his expression in the photo is suave and cool. I wonder if you can catch that kind of look. Anyway, makes me realize how LONG it can take to get it just right!

Unknown said...

Your process is amazing!! Thanks for showing us how you come to the end product. The process is amazing.

xenos said...

i think you nailed it. and totally diggin how you documented the process. sometimes i forget to stop and take a pictures myself because the creative flow can just dry up like that! great job!